Job Opening: Farm Steward
Job Title: Farm Steward
Type: Full time, seasonal, non-exempt, hourly, housing available
Location: Philo Ridge Farm, Charlotte, Vermont
Philo Ridge Farm is a 400-acre historic farm that brings together the rich cultural past of the region to develop the local agricultural economy and respect the ecosystem. We strive to be a beautiful, functional farm at the forefront of research, innovation, and conversation around our food. The property is used for a mixture of activities and operations including: mixed vegetable production, flowers, orchards, sheep, chickens, cattle, horses, hay, and pigs. We believe in treating our farm team, animals, and the soil with respect and care. All of our employees embody the spirit of sharing, growing together and education.
The Farm Steward will be responsible for assisting with the general upkeep of the farm as well as several aspects of livestock care and management. We seek candidates who have experience driving tractors or who are willing to learn, as this role will assist with mowing and producing both round and dry square bales of hay. On site housing is available.
- Tractor work, hay procurement, compost turning, brush mowing, landscaping and maintenance tasks
- Livestock feeding/chores and assisting with the daily grazing rotations and movement of livestock
- Assist with mowing, raking, baling and stacking round and square bales
- Building projects and general maintenance and upkeep
- Basic machinery maintenance
- Repair and maintenance of housing, pens, fencing and feeding equipment
- Assist with other livestock as requested and/or needed
- Other farm jobs as needed
Candidate/ Position Qualifications
- Willingness to work outdoors in adverse weather conditions
- Ability to lift heavy objects and remain physically active throughout the day
- Carpentry skills a plus
- Experience with tractor operation and knowledge of landscape tools
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Clean driving record and valid driver license
- Minimum 2 references
Compensation dependent on qualified experience. Housing available.
Candidates should send a cover letter detailing experience to firstname.lastname@example.org. Qualified candidates will be contacted directly. No phone calls please.